This Thursday is a day many of us have traditionally celebrated as Thanksgiving. It is also the day Indigenous people cite as the Day of Mourning. We hope you are able to gather with your loved ones on Thursday, express gratitude, as well as acknowledge the harm that was done, and continues to be done, to the original inhabitants of this country. It doesn't have to be an either/or.
Here are some ways your family can center the Indigenous experience within the context of your family traditions...
- Share a Land Acknowledgement
- Take a moment of silence
- Each person shares something they've recently learned about indigenous people - either something to be celebrated or to be aware of.
- Add an indigenous dish to your menu
- Read a book. Here are some titles that offer a story of Thanksgiving from an Indigenous perspective.
- If you're traveling, check out this map. Learn more about the indigenous people of that region and find a way to contribute to the local tribe(s).